Thursday, December 7, 2006

Greetings!

Hello, folks! I'm Stephen W. Angell. I teach Quaker Studies at the Earlham School of Religion -- that includes courses in Quaker History, Quaker Spirituality, and Quaker Theology (or, as the title actually says, Quaker Beliefs -- if you are one of those who wonder whether Quakers can have a theology, this course can still be right for you.) There's more information on my teaching at esr.earlham.edu; I offer courses in a residential, two-week intensive and online format. I am a Quaker myself -- a member of the Oxford Friends Meeting in Oxford, Ohio.

In this blog, I will post occasional and quite unsystematic thoughts having to do with current Quaker developments, as well as any of the above rather broad subject areas. I do travel. Most years I attend the Friends General Conference Gathering, which in the coming year (2007) will be in River Falls, Wisconsin. Other groups I attend on at least a fairly regular basis include the meetings of the Quaker Theological Discussion Group, the Conference of Quaker Historians and Archivists, and the Friends Association of Higher Education (which in 2007 will be at Earlham!) I am also quite open to other travel invitations. Perhaps I'll have the privilege and pleasure of meeting you in person at some place on the road!

I welcome your questions and comments at my gmail address: stephenwangell@gmail.com.

5 comments:

Chris M. said...

Steve:

Welcome to the Quaker blogosphere!

-- Chris M.

Unknown said...

good to hear from you friend - I'm in England - teaching primary school ( 5 - 10 year olds) and look forward to all Quaker related teaching stuff that I can feed into my lessons!
Alan Parker

Liz Opp said...

Hi, Steve--

I'm puzzled by the title of your blog--"Hoosier" means Indiana to me, which I assume refers to Earlham's location, given that you are a member of a meeting in Ohio... Unless, of course, Oxford is rather close to the Indiana/Ohio border, and you worship in one state and teach in another. (I suppose I could/should check it out on Google maps or something of the sort!)

I'm also curious to know if you've already cruised parts of the Quaker blogosphere--or "Quakersphere" as Chris M. dubbed it recently--and what you might think of the "conversation" thus far.

Speaking for myself, as one who isn't an instructor or academic, the venture into this online format certainly has proved rich over the past two years for me, and some new relationships and understandings have emerged as a result.

Hope you find it rich as well.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

Jay said...

Steven, thanks for you post over on Peace and Politics. And thanks for stopping by the office the other day! Wanted to make sure you got the link to Michael's talk on Woolman to FCNL's annual meeting - you can find the MP3 here.

Paul L said...

Welcome, Steve.

I hope you won'd mind if I also mention that, among your many talents and interests, that you are an enthusiastic Sacred Harp singer, and so share that experience with me and many others who will be reading your blog.